Sunday, October 3, 2010

Upcoming Trends - Report from Italy

I just got back from a large industry show called Cersaie in Bologna Italy. Well, large does not describe it appropriately. This is a 5 day show that attracts about triple the largest bath industry show here in the states. Most booths are much nicer than the average store. It is said that what you see at this show is two years ahead of the trend hitting us here on the east coast and longer as you travel inland. With that thought in mind, I am now better armed to report on some of the trends that I saw over there, that I believe will head over here.


Fist of all, 95% of what was shown was contemporary in style. Contemporary style has been on the rise all across the US. I see no reason to believe that this trend will slow down anytime in the near future.

Most notable were mirror sizes. The mirrors on display were much skinnier that the traditional proportions or much larger in over all size. Even skinny mirrors hung horizontal or at an odd angle.





Finishes: Chrome remains King, with some matte white and black following behind. Black and white started about a year ago and I am starting to see some products being introduced here in the states. I have am starting to get requests again for white in the store.



Showers: Although there were lots of ceiling mounted shower heads and other wall mounted heads giving a straight down spray path, I remain skeptical that this will every become as popular in the states as it is in Europe. After showering in my 4 star hotel with a hand shower on a slide bar that just sucked due to it's location, spay path, placement of the controls, etc.., anything else they get is an improvement. What I did notice is a large number of "Water Fall" type wall mounted outlets. A lot of them were also in combination with a standard spray pattern head. I also saw mister / atomizers wall outlets like body sprays for showers that I have ordered.

Pedestals: A lot more freestanding pedestals with floor mounted faucets. Makes for an expensive faucet but a lot more personality and more flexible space. I was able to walk under the faucet to the right.

I went to this show as I am purchasing more and more from Italy. I am continually looking to upgrade and stay on top of the latest designs. Italy is where so many great designs are coming from so despite that it was 3 days of traveling for 2 full days at the show, I saw a lot of great products, layouts and design that I plan to bring back to my showroom and stay on top of the trends.

Other Pictures:







3 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    I saw your posting on the ASID board about your trip. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and what may be coming our way.

    The free-standing faucet concept is very interesting. I'd like to see more on that and the available hardware choices for it. ~Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,

    What is that on IMG_0679.JPG?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are plenty of accessory sets available on the market which includes soap dispensers, toilet tissue holders, toothbrush holders, towel racks and a great deal more to make your washroom look fantastic.

    frameless shower screens

    ReplyDelete